Harvesting the power of emerging technologies for peace and social justice
Online-training with live-sessions & self-paced learning.
In all spheres of life, we witness an ever-increasing use of innovative technologies, digital tools, and online spaces. These developments increasingly impact on conflict dynamics. They often exacerbate existing divisions in society and intensify violence. But they also offer new and exciting ways to address violent conflict, shift the power to more locally owned peacebuilding agendas, and allow practitioners to scale interventions even when resources are scare and spaces for meaningful peace work are shrinking.
This training focuses on the immense potential that emerging technologies and digitalisation bring to the peacebuilding and conflict transformation field. Learning from concrete examples from all around the world, participants will explore the added value of embracing emerging technologies and digitalisation throughout the project cycle. Open-source early warning applications, drone-supported mapping processes of recourse conflicts, and virtual and interactive memory spaces are just some of the interventions that participants will get to know and learn from.
The course is designed for
- practitioners without prior experiences working at the intersection of digital and peacebuilding interested in exploring the potential of emerging technologies and digital tools to strengthen their work.
- practitioners with prior experiences working at the intersection of digital and peacebuilding who want to deepen their knowledge, gain new insights, and explore a wide range of emerging technologies and digital tools to broaden their toolbox and widen their strategy options.
Technical Introduction on 19 October 2023 from 09:00 to 10:00 CET
Online Live Sessions from 23 October 2023 to 4 December 2023, every Monday from 10:00 to 12:00 CEST/CET
By the end of the seven weeks online course participants will…
- …have a sound understanding why emerging technologies and digitalisation are essential components of any conflict transformation and peacebuilding approach in the early 21st century.
- …have explored the potential digital peacebuilding concepts offer in an environment of online misinformation, limited resources, and shrinking spaces for constructive civil society engagement.
- …have been introduced to concrete examples of how innovative technologies and digital tools have been used by peacebuilding practitioners, identifies their strengths and weaknesses, and assessed their relevance and adequacy for various conflict contexts.
- …have shared their experiences within the group and engaged in peer/comparative learning processes.
- …have explored first steps to move conflict transformation and peacebuilding online and know about free/cost-effective resources that can help them to get started.
- Tech-based and digital approaches in conflict analysis and early warning
- Tech-based and digital approaches in conflict transformation, training, and campaign work
- Tech-based and digital approaches to documentation and memory work
For more information, please check our website.